Being a mom of 3, sustainability and protecting our planet has become something that I am very interested in. Companies have begun to include the importance of sustainability and “going green” in their marketing. I love a brand that has an actual PLAN for how they are going to create long lasting change. I’ve partnered with Toyota multiple times over the past few years. So I was very excited to learn about their environmental challenge 2050.
**In partnership with Toyota I was provided with a one week loan of the 2021 Toyota Venza Limited. I shared my experience with the vehicle over on Instagram. All opinions expressed are my own.**
What is the Toyota Environmental Challenge 2050?
The Toyota Environmental Challenge 2050 (Challenge 2050) is a set of six challenges — three on reducing CO2 emissions that cause climate change, one on conserving water, one on improving material flows, and one on protecting nature — that seek to go beyond eliminating negative environmental impacts to creating net positive impacts on the planet and society. Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC, Toyota’s parent company headquartered in Japan) announced these six challenges in 2015 after extensive research and internal and external consultation. The goals, which apply to all Toyota subsidiaries around the world, are the most demanding and most inspiring environmental commitments this company has ever made.
The six goals of Challenge 2050 are:
- Challenge 1 – Reduce CO2 emissions from new vehicles by 90% (2010 baseline)
- Challenge 2 – Eliminate CO2 emissions from suppliers and dealers
- Challenge 3 – Eliminate CO2 emissions from operations
- Challenge 4 – Conserve water and protect water resources
- Challenge 5 – Support a recycling-based society
- Challenge 6 – Operate in harmony with nature
Why is Toyota Focusing on These 6 Challenges?
In 2015, TMC conducted a global evaluation of environmental trends, risks and opportunities to identify topics that reflect the company’s most significant (material) environmental impacts. As a result of this process, TMC identified six challenges in Challenge 2050 to address these issues:
What does those mean for consumers?
- Through the six challenges, Toyota is taking measures with the aim of achieving zero CO2 emissions by 2050, including tangible milestones to achieve progress towards this goal by 2030.
- What started with the launch of the Prius Hybrid more than 20 years ago, has expanded to Toyota’s plans to offer an electrified option on every vehicle in the brand’s line-up by 2025, which will help Toyota achieve this charge toward a zero-emissions future.