My kids LOVE popcorn. The first time I realized RJ really loved popcorn was when we took him to Universoul Circus last year. He nearly ate an entire tub of popcorn on his own, and the love for popcorn hasn’t stopped since then. Now, even Zayn loves popcorn. And trust I know that kids his age are usually cautioned from eating popcorn because of the choking hazard, but they love it. We’re big on movies and so the amount of popcorn we eat up in here is CRAZY.
With the release of so many Disney movies this year, we’re planning to spend ALOT of time at the movies. We’re gearing up for some of our favorite animated movies to return to the big screen and snacks are always high on our list. I fell in love with the aliens in the original Toy Story and so it was easy for them to inspire this recipe. Plus, #Boymom. Any time the boys get a chance to eat green food (that isn’t a vegetable) they’re all for it!
Alien Popcorn Balls
Makes about 6 popcorn balls
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 tblspn butter or vegan buttery stick for vegan popcorn balls
- ⅓ cup corn syrup
- 1 cup unpopped popcorn (about 6 cups popped)
- 1 tspn Neon Green GEL food coloring
- 12 Candy Eyeballs
Easy Step by Step Instructions
- Pop popcorn.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter (or vegan buttery stick), sugar and corn syrup.
- Stir constantly over medium heat until boiling, then turn it off.
- Add food coloring.
- Pour popped popcorn into the pan (or transfer everything to a bowl) once sauce is ready.
- Stir until all of the popcorn is covered.
- Mold into balls, place on wax paper.
- Strategically place eyes, then pop into the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Remove popcorn balls from the refrigerator and serve!
That’s it! Super easy and the kids can help. Use this for your Toy Story themed party, a movie night or if you just want a fun activity to get you into the mood before Toy Story 4 comes to theaters this summer. Popcorn is one of our favorite snacks so I can see this being in rotation especially when the new movie hype REALLY builds up for the kids. Will you be giving it a shot?
IF YOU DON’T HAVE TIME NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER: