9 In life

Mommy-Life: The Baby Blues

We’ve all been there. If you are a mom then you’ve experienced some form of what they call the “baby blues”. According to Mayo Clinic, there are more than 3 million cases of postpartum depression reported yearly in the U.S. alone! I didn’t think it’d happen to me at all. The honeymoon phase of mommy hood lasted a good 5 months for me. I didn’t understand how anyone could dislike being a mommy. Something had to be wrong with these women.

*cue sleep regression*.. And I suddenly wonder what the hell I was thinking when I thought I was fit enough to become a parent. My child is screaming at the top of his lungs at midnight for the 3rd night in a row and I’m .5 seconds from busting out into tears with him… alone… because his father works overnight.

And now I’m wondering if I’m a bad mom cause I just for the love of everything that is holy want him to shut up! And that’s not right is it? He’s so little. He can’t help it.

Being a mom makes you superhuman but you are still HUMAN. As mommies we become so wrapped up in our child’s love that we forget to take a step back and decompress. And we need it.. God knows I need it! We spend all day meeting the needs of our household and it’s super important not to forget to take a good step back and think about yourself. Take a moment to do something to make you happy. I am THRILLED when I get to take an uninterrupted, un-rushed shower! LOl big dreams right? But it counts! And frustration doesn’t make you any less of a rockstar! It makes you all the more normal! Keep rocking it out mommas!

*If you think you or someone you know is suffering from severe postpartum depression please seek the medical help of a doctor or other professional.*

photo credit:Growing Better Baby Crying Life Kids Being Kids via photopin (license)

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

Kita
    June 22, 2015 at 11:27 pm

I haven't gotten the blues yet lol. I held a baby the other day soon as he started to cry I gave it back. I don't miss those days at all

Patrice Foster
    June 23, 2015 at 1:25 am

The baby blues hit quite a few moms every day. You made a good point a lot a people think mothers are super human and that we have no feelings. Always take time for yourself first then everything will fall into place.

Globe Trotter
    June 23, 2015 at 8:33 am

I'm not a mom yet but I hear about this from time to time. Self care is so important to be the best you to yourself and to your child.

Deidre McMillan
    June 23, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Great Post and I remember it like it was yesterday! The joys of motherhood are amazing!

Tyra
    June 23, 2015 at 2:12 pm

I am not a mom yet, but I have no idea how you ladies do it. I can barely take care of myself LOL. Taking care of yourself is so important!

Mirror Watching-GinaB
    June 23, 2015 at 4:11 pm

OMG!! When I initially started breast feeding I felt like I was in the bed and in PJ's for six months. It was like some crazy alternate universe.

Siobhan BeFree Project
    June 23, 2015 at 5:15 pm

I know so many new moms can relate to your post. I respect your honesty and transparency. Those sleepless nights are no joke. Stay in positive spirits and try to carve out "me" time just for you, event it's taking extra long showers. 🙂

Nadeen
    June 24, 2015 at 1:24 am

Hang in there! I am sure all the rewards of being a mom will make up for those sleepless nights. A baby can cry while u take a quick shower lol

AIsha Adams
    June 24, 2015 at 1:29 am

Thanks for sharing. I am sure that I had this… Now my son is 13.. It will be over soon…