How often do you find yourself scrolling through your timeline and rolling your eyes? Oh girl on Facebook complaining again. Judgey Judith is on twitter worried about what everybody else is doing. Sara Snoops-A-Lot is all up and down the comments on theshaderoom and the stupid Instagram algorithm keeps showing you her comments over and over again. I feel like everywhere, on all platforms we all have friends that we wonder “why are you here?”. And it’s honestly time for us to stop feeling bad about wanting to get rid of them. You deserve to make your social media a happier place.
You need to clean out your social media sis.
Mental health is real. And with the increased time that people spend on these platforms it should go without saying that we should be filling our timelines with things that are going to fulfill us. I’m talking…. less theshaderoom and more heyfranhey. I recently saw a post (on Facebook of course) about a study being done and finding that people who spend less time on social media are happier. *insert eye roll* Well there’s a shocker. If every time I sign on to Facebook I see Barry Badnews sharing the latest tragedy then of course I’m going to be depressed! Take some time today and take these few minutes to clean up your timelines. Your mind will thank you for it.
5 Ways to Make Your Social Media a Happier Place
- Follow accounts that inspire you. I’m not going to lie I still follow theshaderoom on Instagram. But for every ONE theshaderoom there are TEN heyfranhey’s or blackandwell’s. I try to lean more of my focus on accounts that are going to bring positivity rather than the latest tea.
- Remember, it’s the internet. Not everything is as it appears. Some people only share what they want others to see. Some people overshare just to get attention. At the end of the day everyone has their own personal uses for their social media. You can respect that, and still choose not to partake.
- Treat your online space the same as your house. Are you letting anybody into your house that you don’t like? Yea… it’s the same. It’s still your space.
- Be the positivity. Positive energy is contagious! You can’t expect people to be exactly who you are, but sometimes they don’t know any better. If you’re putting out your positive energy you may just inspire others to do the same.
- Delete delete delete. And stop feeling bad about deleting people! Your friend that you haven’t seen since high school that only messages you occassionaly to sell you ItWorks will get over it sis. If you’re going to spend your time online, you might as well spend it with people you enjoy. And if it’s your auntie and em driving you crazy, at least mute or hide them so you don’t have to deal with it on the regular.
The Bottom Line
At the end of the day, making your social media a happier place should be a priority. You can’t control how or what people share but you absolutely have control over what you allow into your space. Fill your timeline with affirmations, people that make you smile, and things that uplift you. Of course you can also choose to stay off social media, take regular breaks or just ignore everyone altogether. Basically what I’m saying is, do what makes you happy sis! Drink your water, mind your business. And don’t forget you’re in control!
Feel like you have a hard time staying happy? Check out this post: 5 Ways to Stay Genuinely Happy When Everything Feels Negative.